It's Valentine's Day and I wanted to make sure Ray had a little something to throw into his gym bag for a pick-me-up. But whether you're flying solo or partnered up, this recipe is a protein-packed snack that's easy, delicious, and oh-so-good-for-you.
Rosemary Apricot Protein Pods
- ¼ cup dessicated shredded coconut* + extra for rolling (optional! I used bee pollen)
- 1½ cups raw cashews*
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 cup dried apricots
- Pinch sea salt (I like Himalayan pink)
- 3-4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 inch ginger (use a spoon to “peel” the skin off)
*Option to toast the coconut and cashews to really bring out their flavor. It’s not necessary, but some days you just feel extra. Preheat oven to 350. Spread nuts in a single layer on one side of pan and coconut on the other side (or use two separate pans). After 5 minutes, remove the coconut and toss the nuts. Toast nuts additional 5 minutes.
Toss everything into the food processor (I just treated myself to this one on Amazon). I made half with rosemary, half without. It’s not everyone’s vibe.
Roll into balls. Or don't! I used a silicone mold because I have a hard time getting all of the balls the same size, so these are more like “protein pods.” Silicone molds come in all kinds of fun shapes and are super affordable on Amazon (how cute is this heart-shaped one?!). I dropped a little bit of bee pollen into the molds first as a topping, but you could also use more coconut, or get creative! [Side note: silicone molds are great for creating serum-cicles with leftover facial tea! Check out Ecologic's skincare magician Mika du Toit's tutorial here!]
Chill for 15 minutes.
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
What we're cooking with...
- Loaded with antioxidants and carotenoids
- High fiber, supporting bowel regularity (how romantic)
- High in Vitamin A (the better to see you with, my dear)
- Improve your cholesterol profile
- High protein
- Support bone health
- Healthy brain function thanks to zinc, copper, and iron
- Prevent fluctuations in blood sugar
- Rich in magnesium - so chilled
- Muscle recovery magic
- Hormonal balance
Hemp hearts (compared to chia or flax seeds)
- 2x more protein
- 70% more iron
- 25% more omegas 3 & 6
- Nausea relief (ever wanted to barf after a workout?!)
- Immunity booster
- Prevents spikes and dips in blood sugar
In the spirit of love, the most creative submission for bliss balls or protein pods (or whatever you want to call them) will win this beautiful set of silicone cooking utensils with acacia wood handles! Simply whip up a batch post them to Instagram with the hashtag #JPBlissBalls to be entered to win! Click the GIVEAWAY button above to go straight to the post! Winner will be announced next week, so give to cooking!